Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Blitz at the Fayetteville Chess Club


Note: This article was originally published on March 29, 2015 on chess.com

Today I visited the local chess club in Fayetteville, Arkansas.  The club meets at 1 p.m. every Sunday afternoon at the Atlanta Bread Company.  I played three blitz games with a gentleman named Richard (pictured in the cover photo on the left, but that's not me on the right).  Richard described himself as "about 1400" in strength before we played.
I tried to reconstruct the three games from memory when I got home.  I got two of them, but my recollection of the middle one was not complete enough.  I had a look at the first of the three games and included some comments below.  The third game is basically a miniature (and an example of what can happen if you try to make up a way to play against the Scotch Gambit on the fly if you aren't super careful), and it's included without comment below.
After the three games with Richard, I asked the resident master, (NM Bill Orton, kind of a local legend) if he would be up to looking over a couple of games from last weekend's tournament with me.  I showed him the two games I drew and learned a lot.  After we looked over these games, I decided to call it a day.  It was a fun experience, and I will definitely be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment